Back in February the fifteenth SUSE Hack Week took place. As always this was a week of free hacking, to learn, to innovate, to collaborate, and to have a lot of fun. I didn't have the full time, so I worked on a couple of small things and a few projects I maintain. I did want to summarize that, so here you go.
The first project remained unfinished. I wanted to fill out Tim Urban's Life Calendar (you might have seen that on his excellent blog "Wait But Why"), but realized that it's not trivial to map dates to weeks in your life. So I wrote a small tool to calculate that, stopped after I had a failing test and had a rough feeling for how to put the dots on the life calendar.
The second project was something I always wanted to do, implement Conway's Game of Life. I had once started an implementation in 68000 assembler on the Amiga many years ago, but never finished it. Technology has advanced, so I decided to do at as ASCII pixel art. Who needs high resolution? The result turned out to be a bit more generic, as a command line tool to manipulate pixel matrices stored in text files, the Pixelist. While I was at it, I also implemented Langton's Ant and a simulation of diffusion limited aggregation.
GivenFilesystem is a Ruby gem I maintain for writing unit tests dealing with files on disk. It's quite convenient, if you test code, which writes files on disk and you want to have a well-defined environment without side effects for testing this code. There were some open pull requests. I reviewed and merged them and released given_filesystem 0.2.0.
I already wrote about Inqlude, where I used Hack Week to finally publish the new Inqlude web site, which is based on the work Nanduni did during last year's Google Summer of Code. It's a great improvement. I also did some cleanup work, including reviewing the open issues. So we have a nice roadmap now. There is some interesting work to do. People who want to help with that are always welcome.
Trollolo is another side project I work on from time to time. We use it for supporting our Scrum work flows at SUSE in Trello, such as generating burndown charts. I didn't get around to write code, but I consolidated some of the ideas floating around and put them into issues. This also is a nice opportunity, if you want to have some fun with writing a bit of Ruby code for a small project. Issues are up for takers.
Finally I worked a bit on the next iteration of my attempt to make git support multiple authors. This would make life with git in a pair programming situation much nicer. Based on the feedback I got on my first iteration and at the Git Merge conference, I started to work on a version which puts the data into the trailers of the commit messages. This is less intrusive and with a bit of tooling it achieves similar results as the version which worked directly on the commit headers. I have something working, but it needs a rework of the trailer handling code. I'll continue to work on that when I find some more time to do that.
I love going to conferences. It's how I learn, meet people, get inspiration, share my work, and have fun. The last conference I went to ...
Last week I had written about my ideas for the fourth openSUSE Hackweek . I got quite some feedback and most people seem to think that the K...
I bought a Windows game last week. What I got was a scenic tour through the demise of the Windows platform. I knew that Windows as gaming p...
It began about ten years ago , when I rewrote the KDE address book library . I implemented a nice API, vCard parsing, and a representation o...